Monday, December 19, 2011

Living History Farms - The Race

As a virgin (woah!) runner I will share my short take on the 7.something (as advertised) mile Living History Farms off road race. I did my first organized run in September, the 5k Beaverdash. Part of Beaverdale Fall Fest Prior to that most of my running was contained to cemeteries and treadmills. Wait, actually, I did the inaugural Grand Blue Mile in 2010 with my dad. THAT was the longest straight distance I had run in 20 years, at the time. 7:57. :)

So to go from running 1 mile to 7 miles...was a change. I didn't really train for LHF. We were lucky to have a very nice fall, weather wise. I would just run when I felt like it. I did a few runs mapped out using my odometer prior to the run when I was frustrated with driving everywhere. John prefers mapmyrun.com, and is always eager to map my runs and figure out my pace when I come home. So far I am averaging a 10 min mile WITH walking. So, maybe 8 min mile while running.

Anyway, LHF. Our friend Dave, of Honeybadgershirts.com organized a team for the race. 4 men and 2 women. He provided awesome beanie hats and tshirts.

John and I were behind Dave and crew for most of the race, but got many comments on our shirts, and tried to do some breathless advertising. I ran/walked the whole race with J by my side cheering me on. He got frustrated several times with me walking and then running too fast, but that is just my style. I think we had a breathless brief argument about it during the run, and I swore I was NOT slowing us down via this method. I came home that evening to look up his past times for this race, and he PR'd (personal record) with me by over 15 minutes. So, yeah. Run fast, walk when you need to. I'm going to stick with that.

Unfortunately, I injured my left leg a bit during the race. It was very sore in the hip joint for a few days after, and now I am having classic IT band knee pain in that leg. I take back everything I ever said about people being wimps about IT band pain! I am trying to use my Merrel barefoot shoes and will try a knee compression strap the next time I run. LA half marathon coming up January 14th! I am behind in training due to small children making me very ill, and the knee pain. Right now my goal is to still run/walk the half.

No comments:

Post a Comment